Thankerton

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Thankerton (1848-1965)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

A two platform station. When first opened a road crossed the station by level crossing (by Station Road). North of this was the goods yard, on the east side, with the passenger station to the south.

The crossing was stopped up and the roadbridge to the south used in preference.

The goods yard was reached by reversal from the southbound line.

The main station building, on the northbound platform, had a cross stepped gable in the middle of the portion facing the platform. This building survives as a house.

The signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform.

The box closed in 1964 and station in 1965.

The line remains open.

12/08/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map