Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
Thornhill was a two platform station. It remains largely intact with platforms and two storey station building on the southbound platform. It is an excellent survivor. The station was north east of the town, about a mile.
There were sidings on either side of the line, south of the station, those on the town (west) side becoming the main goods yard. Some extra sidings were later provided on the east side, north of the station. These served the Nithsdale Auction Mart to the immediate north.
A mineral line ran from the south end of the station east and north to Gatelawbridge Quarry.
A new signal box was provided in 1943. The station closed to goods in 1955 and completely in 1965.
As part of the improvements to the capacity of the line in 2008 a loop was installed on the southbound side, south of the former station.
Other railway and industry locations
Carronhill Glen (Newlands) Viaduct
Campie Water Viaduct
Gill Water Viaduct
River Carron Viaduct
Enterkin Burn Viaduct
Ballochan Linn Viaduct
Ardoch Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|