This railway is closed. The route included three inclined planes which required stationary steam engines to haul the trains uphill. These steep sections were later deviated by three new railways.
The company provided a service between Dundee and Newtyle. The line was unusual for its time in not being a connection between coal pits and, say, canals.
The original station at Newtyle still stands (probably, see Newtyle [1st].
The line passed for most of its length through the lands of the Earl of Airlie and Lord Wharncliffe.
|/ /||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Rosemill Halt closed.
|/ /1821||Elgin Railway|
Re-aligned again to avoid inclined planes, engineer; Mr Charles Landale (Dundee and Newtyle Railway engineer).
|26/05/1826||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Act receives Royal assent, engineer Mr Charles Landale (who had engineered the Elgin Railway).
|/02/1827||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Work begins on line.
|16/12/1831||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Line opened. Stationary engines for inclines were provided by Carmichaels.
|/ /1833||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
2 locomotives for level sections provided by Carmichaels.
|/ /1834||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Locomotive for level sections provided by Stirling & Co (Dundee Foundry).
|/ /1836||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Locomotive for level sections provided by Robert Stephenson.
|/02/1837||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Line extended from Dundee Ward Road station to Earl Grey Dock in Dundee Harbour.
|/ /1855||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Cross Roads station closed.
|/ /1860||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
|08/06/1861||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Dundee Ward Road closed.
|/ /1868||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Newtyle (New) station opened.
|01/01/1917||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Lochee West station closed.
|01/01/1923||Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway|
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
|10/01/1955||Newtyle Eassie and Glamiss Railway|
Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Alyth Junction to Dundee West closed to passengers.
|05/05/1958||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Newtyle Junction to Auchterhouse closed to freight.
|25/01/1965||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Auchterhouse to Fairmuir Jnct closed to freight.
|/11/1967||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
|06/11/1967||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Fairmuir Junction to Ninewells Junction closed to freight.
This 4 ft 6.5 in line was engineered by Charles Landale and was 11 miles long crossing the high ground of the Sidlaw Hills. There was a tunnel and three inclines - Law Incline (leading Dundee northbound) - Balbeuchly Incline (climbing the Sidlaws) - Hatton Incline (dropping down to Newtyle)
These locations are along the line.
This station was on the south side of Clepington Road, north of the Law Tunnel. The location is also known as Cross Roads. Today a two storey seemingly house remains in the grounds of King's Cross Hospital .
This station was located by the Downfield Tavern where the road north to Baldovan met Strathmartine Road.
The former line rests on a embankment with a retaining wall here, it is best seen from the north. Encroachment of housing on the north west of the station site has obliterated the goods yard.
This loop opened on the Dundee and Newtyle route at the south of the Balbeuchley Inline, near Balbeuchley Foot. It was one of the passing places on the later version of the line There was a signal box, from 1892, on the south side of the loop.
This appears to have been a short public siding with loading bank and small hut immediately to the east of Rosemill level crossing and loop. It was accessed from the east.
This incline was 5100 ft long with a 1 in 25 gradient and gained 200 ft. The higher end was to the north with an engine house.
This halt was at Burnhead. There was a short passing loop on the line crossing a level crossing.
This was the northern terminus of the Dundee and Newtyle Railway. The terminus building still stands. It is one of the oldest stations in Britain.