This was a double track junction where the 1861 deviation built to replace the Law Incline, Law Tunnel and Dundee Ward Road joined the 1847 Dundee and Perth Railway.
Shortly after the junction the deviation reduced to a single track. The double section of the deviation at the junction was a train length. The length of this double track section was reduced later.
The signal box, replaced 1893, was on the south side of the junction.
The main line and deviation ran parallel for a considerable distance before the separation.
The deviation, latterly a local goods branch, closed in 1967. The box closed in 1968.
The formation of the deviation is obliterated for nearly a mile under new housing until the Green Circular footpath is reached. The main line remains open.
Ninewells Junction [Station], which was very short lived, was just to the east.
Just to the south of this former junction is Dundee Airport .
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Dundee Ward Road
Offset at Back of Law
Dundee Trades Lane
Baldovan and Downfield
| Esplanade Junction Signal Box|
Easter Mylnefield Quarry
Camperdown Jute and Hemp Works
Dundee West Shed
Dundee Central Junction
Tay Bridge [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/10/1865||Dundee and Perth Railway|
Ninewells junction open/closed. (CHECK)
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways