Rosemill Loop (1892-1965)
Opened on the Dundee and Newtyle Railway.
Opened on the Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Scottish Central Railway).
This loop opened on the Dundee and Newtyle route at the south of the Balbeuchley Inline, near Balbeuchley Foot. It was one of the passing places on the later version of the line There was a signal box, from 1892, on the south side of the loop.
On the original course of the line there was a tight curve here, the very straight line approaching from the east turning tightly north to the incline. This curve was eased when the line was deviated away from the incline to pass through Dronley in 1860.
To the east was the short Rosemill Siding, on the east side of a level crossing and south side of the line. Approach wa from the east. A little further east was a siding on the north side, approached from the east, for Rose Mill.
To the north, from the box, was a siding to Fallaws Quarry, approached from the east. A little further west was a siding for Leoch Quarry, this being the southern part of the former incline.
To the south of the box were sidings, a loading bank and crane for Rose Mill Quarry. This was also approached from the east.
Passenger trains ceased in 1955.
The line was severed to the west at Auchterhouse [2nd] in 1958 to make it a terminus approached from Dundee.
The line was cut back further to Fairmuir Junction, Dundee, in 1965 and the line at Rosemill and box closed.
Baldovan and Downfield
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Dundee Ward Road
Other railway and industry locations
Auchrie Quarry Siding
Rose Mills Chemicals
Eastfield Road Bridge
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|