Opened on the Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Scottish Central Railway).
Initially this was a single platform station built on the north side of the line with a siding to the west, served from the west.
The station was on the deviation opened in 1861 to replace the Law Incline and Law Tunnel approach to Dundee Ward Road. The deviation joined the Dundee and Perth Railway at Ninewells Junction and trains ran on to Dundee West.
A signal box opened in 1893.
A loop was installed in 1898 and the goods yard altered for reversal from the northbound line. Station buildings were enlarged. The signal box was replaced, the new box being at the west end of the eastbound (original) platform.
The Dundee Linoleum Works opened to the east before 1920, served by reversing from the southbound line.
The station closed to passengers in 1955. The box survived until 1967 when the line closed.
The station site is now a sports centre and the trackbed is part of the Green Circular footpath. The works site is now a supermarket.
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Offset at Back of Law
Baldovan and Downfield
Dundee Ward Road
Other railway and industry locations
Easter Mylnefield Quarry
Camperdown Jute and Hemp Works
Esplanade Junction Signal Box
Auchrie Quarry Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Renamed before opening
This station was planned to been called Balgarthno but the name was changed to Liff before the line was opened.