This railway was until recently open to freight only to RNAD Crombie, although the sidings within the works have been lifted.
The line was also known as the Charlestown Railway and, on extension to Dunfermline, the Dunfermline and Charlestown Railway and was one of the earliest waggonways in Scotland.
For the earlier alignment see Elgin Waggonway.
|/ /1799||Elgin Railway|
Acquired by the Earl of Elgin, line modified at southern end to serve limestone quarries, limekilns and the harbour.
|/ /1812||Elgin Railway|
Line re-aligned from Wellwood to Charlestown Harbour with iron edge rails.
|/ /1821||Elgin Railway|
Re-aligned again to avoid inclined planes, engineer; Mr Charles Landale (Dundee and Newtyle Railway engineer).
|26/05/1826||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Act receives Royal assent, engineer Charles Landale (previously engineer to the Elgin Railway).
|/ /1834||Elgin Railway|
Branch to Dunfermline Netherton opened, line re-named Charlestown and Dunfermline Railway and opened to passengers.
|/ /1846||Aberdeen, Banff and Elgin Railway|
Aberdeen, Banff and Elgin Railway proposed and later abandoned.
|/ /1850||Nairn and Elgin Railway|
Nairn and Elgin Railway promoted. Offered Â£40,000 by the Great North of Scotland Railway to continue to Keith.
|/ /1853||Victor Alexander, Lord Elgin|
Succeeds to the title, Trustees of the estate sell the Elgin Railway and Charlestown Harbour and let out the lime and coal business.
|/ /1856||Elgin Railway
The Townhill Waggonway links the Elgin Railway to the Halbeath Railway.
|21/07/1856||Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. (Former applications were made under the name Nairn and Elgin Railway with the expectation that the line would meet the GNoSR in Elgin).
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This junction was formed when the Charlestown and Dunfermline Railway was met by the 1866 West of Fife Railway and Harbour. Both lines were single track and the signal box (dating from 1894) was in the 'V' of the junction.
Around the time this opened the line became the Charlestown and Dunfermline Railway.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
The Elgin or Charlestown Railway 1762-1863