Arbroath and Forfar Railway

Introduction

This line ran from Arbroath to Forfar. The line is closed (except for a short section between St Vigeans Junction and The Dens sidings in Arbroath). Today the nearest station is at Arbroath.






Dates

  /  /1836Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
24/11/1838Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Opened partly with horse haulage. Stations opened at: Arbroath (Catherine Street), Colliston, Leysmill.
04/12/1838Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Leysmill to Forfar officially opened. Stations opened at: Leysmill, Friockheim, Guthrie, Auldbar Road, Clocksbriggs, Forfar (Playfield).
03/01/1839Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Completely opened. James Gow was the locomotive superintendent. Three locomotives were supplied by James Stirling of Dundee Foundry.
  /  /1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Converted to standard gauge from 5ft6in.
30/07/1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Arbroath (Catherine Street) to Friockheim doubling contract let, contractor Robert Moffat Junior.
07/08/1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Friockheim to Forfar (Playfield) doubling contract let, contractor David Murray.
  /  /1848Arbroath and Forfar RailwayAberdeen Railway
Merged with Aberdeen Railway.
01/02/1848Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers, replaced by the nearby Arbroath Junction station on the new link line.
02/08/1848Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Forfar (Playfield) closed to passengers replaced by Forfar [2nd] on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
  /  /1900Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Singled. Southbound track lifted.
01/01/1917Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Clocksbriggs closed.
01/06/1919Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Clocksbriggs re-opened.
01/01/1923Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Caledonian Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Highland Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Killin Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
05/12/1955Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Arbroath (St Vigeans Junction) to Forfar (Guthrie Junction) closed to passengers. Colliston, Leysmill, Friockheim, Guthrie, Clocksbriggs closed.
05/12/1955Arbroath and Forfar Railway
St Vigeans Junction to Letham Mill Level Crossing closed to goods.
11/06/1956Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Auldbar Road closed.
  /  /1962Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
25/01/1965Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Colliston to Guthrie Junction (excluded) closed to goods.
03/09/1966Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
04/09/1967Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Newtyle, Eassie and Glammiss Railway
Aberdeen Railway
Stanley Junction to Kinnaber Junction closed to passengers. Coupar Angus, Alyth Junction, Forfar and Bridge of Dun stations closed.
04/09/1967Aberdeen RailwayArbroath and Forfar Railway
Forfar North Junction (excluded) to Bridge of Dun (excluded) closed to all traffic.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway. Arbroath station opened just to the west in 1848. The replaced station became a goods yard for the Forfar route. ...

More details

The signal box at Arbroath is rather imposing, but the lack of refurbishment, to the exterior anyway, suggests that it will soon be redundant. Mind ...
David Panton 19/10/2016




DRS 66 428 heads a Grangemouth-Aberdeen container train past St Vigeans just north of Arbroath in May 2009. ...
Sandy Steele /05/2009


This was a station with two staggered platforms. The northbound platform was north of the level crossing, with the goods yard to the east, served from the north, and the southbound platform to the south of the crossing.
...

More details
Looking south at the former Colliston station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a two platform station with staggered platforms. A mineral line ran from the north end of the station to the west to serve Leysmill Quarry.
...

More details
Looking south east at Leysmill station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This junction had a very chequered history - opening and re-closing several times.
...

More details
Looking south at Friockheim Junction. The Aberdeen Railway came in from the left and the former route to Forfar is to the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //

Scotch Gauge


...

More details
A postcard view of Friockheim viewed from the south. The rather curious appearance of the top left corner is due to an overly keen philatelist who ...
Ewan Crawford Collection //
Looking east at the former Friockheim station where the railway crossed the roadway on an overbridge. ...
Ewan Crawford //
C.R. 0.4.4T 55198 entering Friokheim. Forfar-Arbroath train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953

Although the site of Guthrie station, just to the west of the junction, has been largely landscaped (except for the main station building), the junction remains recognisable.
...

More details
Looking east at Guthrie Junction. The route to Arbroath was to the left and the Aberdeen Railway was to the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Guthrie Junction. N.B.R. 4.4.2T 67491 on Arbroath-Forfar Local. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
44934 piloting 73008 past Guthrie Junction on up Granite City. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 18/07/1953
Up Special passing Guthrie Junction on a windy day. 5P 4.6.0 45497. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/08/1953

This was a junction station opened on the route of the former Arbroath and Forfar Railway for the opening of the Aberdeen Railway. Guthrie Junction was to the east.
...

More details
Detail on Guthrie Gate showing the Guthrie family coat of arms. ...
Craig Seath //1982
Guthrie Gate. The castellated bridge and gatehouse to the west of Guthrie station where the railway crossed the access road to the Guthrie estate. ...
Craig Seath //1982
Arbroath-Forfar local. C.R. 15195 at Guthrie Junction. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/05/1949

This is a railway bridge, dating from 1839, west of Guthrie station and south of Guthrie Castle. The line crossed over the main entry to the castle here.
...

More details
The Guthrie Gate is a railway bridge dating from 1839. The Arbroath and Forfar Railway passed over the main entry to Guthrie Castle here and the ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This was a two platform station by Balgavies Loch.
...

More details
The former station at Auldbar Road, near Guthrie, Angus, looking east towards Guthrie Junction in 1996. The platforms were situated behind the camera ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This was a two platform station on the Strathmore main line with the main station building on the northbound platform and a level crossing at the west end.
...

More details

Layout


...

More details
View north east at Forfar North Junction in 1996. The main line north to Aberdeen runs ahead and the infilled cutting of the line to Broughty Ferry is ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
The Station is well gone... an industrial area covers the old station site. The Bridge has four spans. [Railscot note: this bridge has since been ...
Colin Harkins 31/08/2006
Loco variety at Forfar North Junction. C.R. 0.4.4T 55193 on the goods from Brechin. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
Plenty of track but barely a wagon in sight. The scene at Forfar in 1974, seven years after the Strathmore Line passenger closure left the Angus town ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1974


This was the terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway in Forfar. The station was replaced by Forfar [2nd] on the opening of the Scottish Midland Junction Railway and the re-gauging of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway.
...

More details