Border Signal Box

Location type


Name and dates

Border Signal Box

Opened on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway.


This signal box controlled access to Border Quarry, on the north/east side of the railway. There was a siding running from the southbound line, reached by reversal. The signal box was opposite on the south/west side. The Legaston Quarry was on the south/west side of the line.

The box was on the route of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway, and old line which opened in 1838.

The box closed in 1936 when the line was singled.

Closure to passengers of the line was in 1955. It became a branch to Colliston from Guthrie Junction in 1959 and closed altogether in 1965.

The trackbed formation and quarry sites remain disused and intact.


Signal box junction quarry