Arbroath (Catherine Street) (1839-1848)
Opened on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway.
This was the terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway. A goods line continued beyond the station, on its east side, to Arbroath Harbour.
At the station there was a passenger trainshed, with ticket offices and waiting rooms, a locomotive shed and carriage shed.
Arbroath station opened just to the west in 1848 on a new line which linked the Arbroath and Forfar Railway to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. The replaced station became a goods yard.
On the harbour branch there were several level crossings (going south from Arbroath Junction):
- (weighing machines)
- Catherine Street
- Bridge Street
- Chalmers Street / North Grimsby
- Union Street / South Grimsby
- (lines divide here)
With the opening of Arbroath, the nearby Arbroath (Lady Loan), terminus of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway, closed completely along with its approach.
Arbroath (Catherine Street)
Arbroath (Lady Loan)
Arbroath West Links
Other railway and industry locations
Arbroath D and A Shed
Arbroath Harbour Junction
Westburn Iron Foundry
Arbroath Signal Box
Arbroath Shed [1st]
Dens Iron Works
St Vigeans Junction
Arbroath ^The Dens^ Siding
Elliot Metal Box Factory
St Vigeans Stones and Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|24/11/1838||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Opened partly with horse haulage. Stations opened at: Arbroath (Catherine Street), Colliston, Leysmill.
|30/07/1846||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Arbroath (Catherine Street) to Friockheim doubling contract let, contractor Robert Moffat Junior.
|01/02/1848||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers, replaced by the nearby Arbroath Junction station on the new link line.