Arbroath (Lady Loan)

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Arbroath (Lady Loan) (1838-1848)

Opened on the Dundee and Arbroath Railway.

Description

This station was located to the west of the harbour in Arbroath. A tramway connected with the harbour line of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway just to the east in the harbour. The tramway was not suitable for upgrade to a railway and a new Arbroath station (then Arbroath Joint) was opened on a connecting railway built by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway and Lady Loan closed.

The terminus was described as having two lines under a trainshed with a high pitched Gothic roof. There was a locomotive shed and turntables for both engines and carriages.

Unlike the nearby Arbroath (Catherine Street), which survived as a goods yard along with the line down to the harbour, this terminus and its approach closed completely.

Tags

Terminus Stations