This is a two platform station with a level crossing at the east end and a large station building at the east end of the westbound platform. The former signal box has been reassembled, after a period of storage, on the westbound platform.
The station building is two storey next to the level crossing with a single storey to the west and covered area supported by posts. New canopies have been erected over the subway entrance on each platform (east end of station by level crossing). A small taxi office (currently yellow) is by the eastbound platform subway, this is an original railway built cab office.
At the east end of the station there were formerly, until the late 1980s, three routes between the platforms; subway, level crossing and footbridge.
The station building had a canopy at the west end which formerly also covered a bay platform, now gone. The bay was for starting westbound traffic.
'Broughty Ferry Fort Street' signal box was at the west end of the station, north side of the line and east of Fort Street itself. The street originally crossed over the railway by means of a level crossing. The road was lifted onto a bridge over the line. This box closed in 1887.
'Broughty Ferry Gray Street' signal box was at the east end of the station at the present day level crossing. This box closed in 1887.
The best known signal box at this station originally stood to the west of the existing level crossing on the eastbound platform. This opened as 'Broughty Ferry Passenger' in 1887 replacing both the Fort Street and Gray Street boxes. This box became simply 'Broughty Ferry' on closure of the 'Broughty Ferry Goods' signal box at Broughty Ferry Goods to the east in 1926.
Broughty Ferry box closed in the late 1990s. The former box, after a period of time in storage, has been relocated to the westbound platform.
The canopy has been cut back.
The original small goods yard was to the south of the bay platform accessed by turnplates. The line's worked were based here. To the east was a sharply curved line which approached Broughty Pier. The curve was replaced with a different alignment further east. The goods yard Broughty Ferry Goods moved here, where there was more space.
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway had its workshops in Broughty Ferry.
The station is not located at the ferry pier, but to the north in the town.
Dundee Trades Lane
| Broughty Ferry Shed|
Broughty Ferry Goods
Dighty Water Viaduct
Tay Oilcake Works
Tayport Spinning Mill Siding
Tayport Spinning Mill
Carolina Port Signal Box
Maryfield Tram Depot
Dundee King George V Wharf
Dundee Camperdown Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|06/10/1838||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Arbroath Lady Loan to Dundee Craigie opened. Stations opened at: Arbroath Lady Loan, Easthaven, Carnoustie [1st], Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Dundee Craigie (a temporary terminus east of Dundee).
|/ /1846||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier authorised, a tightly curved line. The pier to be operated in connection with the ferries to Tayport.
|15/05/1848||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier opened. Broughty Pier station opened.
|01/05/1851||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier closed, having been replaced with a new curve running from Broughty Pier to Broughty Junction.
|/ /1867||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry branch authorised.
|/ /1872||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Authorisation to improve Broughty Ferry station.