Arbroath Junction (1848-1855)
Opened on the Junction Line (Dundee and Arbroath Railway).
Open on the Dundee to Aberdeen.
This is a three platform station, with two active platforms on either side of the double track in use. The station buildings remain on the platforms, with canopies, and the booking office is on the Keptie Street overbridge.
The third platform face was used for local services, such as to Forfar [2nd].
This station was opened immediately to the west of Arbroath (Catherine Street) station, the original terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway, and the harbour branch. It was built on a line from the west of Arbroath by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. The goods yard on the west side of the station was almost certainly built by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. It replaced Arbroath (Lady Loan) which was to the west of the harbour. The original terminus and approach line were abandoned. The Aberdeen Railway, who now operated the Arbroath and Forfar Railway, used the station on opening and Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers.
The station was rebuilt in 1911 by the North British Railway and Caledonian Railway, the station and line being jointly owned by that time. The new station was on broadly the same plan but with longer platforms and larger buildings.
Until 2008 the goods shed survived, a good example of an old goods shed. It is speculated this may have been the locomotive shed, however there was a locomotive shed in the cutting south of the station on the west side of the line which may have been the original.
Arbroath signal box, to the north of the station at the former Arbroath Harbour Junction, is 'B' listed.
Arbroath (Catherine Street)
Arbroath (Lady Loan)
Arbroath West Links
Other railway and industry locations
Arbroath Joint Shed
Arbroath Joint Goods
Arbroath Harbour Junction
Westburn Iron Foundry
Arbroath Shed [1st]
Dens Iron Works
St Vigeans Junction
Arbroath ^The Dens^ Siding
Elliot Metal Box Factory
Elliot Works 2nd
St Vigeans Stones and Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/02/1848||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers, replaced by the nearby Arbroath Junction station on the new link line.