This is a three platform station, with two active platforms on either side of the double track in use. The station buildings remain on the platforms, with canopies, and the booking office is on the Keptie Street overbridge. The station was rebuilt and enlarged in 1911 when it was jointly Caledonian Railway and North British Railway.
The third platform face was used for local services, such as to Forfar [2nd].
This station was opened immediately to the west of Arbroath (Catherine Street) station, the original terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway, and the harbour branch. It was built on a line from the west of Arbroath by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. The goods yard on the west side of the station was built by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. It replaced Arbroath (Lady Loan) which was to the west of the harbour (that original terminus and approach line were abandoned). The Aberdeen Railway, who came to operate the Arbroath and Forfar Railway, used the station on opening and Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers. A good sheds were on the east side of the new station - one alongside the new station being new and to the east was former Catherine Street station - forming the Arbroath and Forfar Railway company's goods station.
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway had a small single road locomotive shed immediately west of the station and on the north side of the line. It was approached by reversal from the goods yard over the turntable into the shed.
A temporary station opened with the line in 1848, known as Arbroath Joint or Arbroath Junction. The permanent station opened in 1858.
The station was rebuilt in 1911 by the North British Railway and Caledonian Railway, the station and line being jointly owned by that time. The new station was on broadly the same plan but with longer platforms and larger buildings. Platforms are canopied and the main station building is on Keptie Street.
'Arbroath South' box was on the south western approach to the station. It was on the south east side of the line.
The south box closed in 1971, leading to Arbroath North Signal Box being renamed simply 'Arbroath'. The connection of the south end of the Forfar platform line / goods line to the main line was taken out, being retained as a headshunt accessed from the north for the goods yard.
Until 2008 the Arbroath Goods shed survived, a very good example of an old goods shed. It is speculated this may have been the locomotive shed, however this was in the cutting south of the station on the west side.
Arbroath Signal Box, to the north of the station at the Wellgate, is 'B' listed. It is a cantilevered box overhanging the railway.
A lattice footbridge remains here on the south side of the level crossing.
Arbroath (Catherine Street)
Arbroath (Lady Loan)
Arbroath West Links
| Arbroath D and A Shed|
Arbroath Harbour Junction
Westburn Iron Foundry
Arbroath Signal Box
Arbroath Shed [1st]
Dens Iron Works
St Vigeans Junction
Arbroath 'The Dens' Siding
Elliot Metal Box Factory
St Vigeans Stones and Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1846||Arbroath and Forfar Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Authorisation of a new curve to link the Arbroath and Forfar Railway and Dundee and Arbroath Railway with a new Arbroath station. Also allows for abandonment of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway's terminus Arbroath Lady Loan.
|01/02/1848||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers, replaced by the nearby Arbroath Junction station on the new link line.
Arbroath (New) station opened on new line connecting the Arbroath and Forfar Railway and Dundee and Arbroath Railway.
|/ /1860||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Engine Shed and works closed and transferred to Arbroath.
|/ /1880||Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
North British Railway|
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway). This involved the bulk of the former Dundee and Arbroath Railway between Camperdown Junction and near Arbroath station and a short portion of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway as far as St Vigeans Junction.
|28/12/1906||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
A North British Railway express which had been travelling from Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local Caledonian Railway Arbroath to Dundee East train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.