This line ran from Aberdeen to near Forfar [2nd] with branches to Brechin and Montrose. The line is intact from near Montrose to Aberdeen (forming a major part of both the West Coast Main Line and East Coast Main Line routes). It carries both passengers and freight. A branch from Bridge of Dun to Brechin remains as a preserved railway. A station at Laurencekirk has been re-opened.
The company merged with the Scottish Midland Junction Railway to form the Scottish North Eastern Railway.
|/ /1840||Aberdeen Railway|
Friockheim Viaduct built, 189m in length. Date to be re-confirmed, seems unlikely!
|/ /1845||Aberdeen Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1847||Aberdeen RailwayGreat North of Scotland Railway|
Fusion Act made available to merge the Aberdeen Railway with the Great North of Scotland Railway (not used).
|/ /1848||Arbroath and Forfar RailwayAberdeen Railway|
Merged with Aberdeen Railway.
Brechin to Bridge of Dun opened.
Limpet Mill, a short lived terminus, closed.
Aberdeen Ferryhill opened, this terminus was at the end of a portion of line opened in April 1850.
|/ /1854||Aberdeen Railway|
Aberdeen Guild Street terminus opened.
Aberdeen Ferryhill closed.
Aberdeen Guild Street opened.
|/ /1856||Aberdeen RailwayScottish Midland Junction RailwayScottish North Eastern Railway|
The Aberdeen Railway merged with Scottish Midland Junction Railway to become Scottish North Eastern Railway.
|01/04/1856||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Kittybrewster [1st] to Aberdeen Waterloo opened completely (with horse tramway to the Aberdeen Railway's terminus at Aberdeen Guild street).
New Mill Offset renamed New Mill Siding.
Aberdeen Guild Street closed.
Boiler explosion at Dubton.
Friockheim to Glasterlaw closed to passengers
Cove renamed Cove Bay.
|/ /1914||Aberdeen Railway|
Friockheim Viaduct out of use
Montrose [CR] to Broomfield Junction closed to passengers.
Brechin to Bridge of Dun (excluded) closed to passengers.
Montrose [CR] to Broomfield Junction to Dubton Junction closed to passengers.
Cove Bay closed.
|/ /1962||Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
Broomfield Junction to Dubton Junction closed to freight
|03/09/1966||Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
Montrose [CR] (also known as Montrose East) to Broomfield Junction closed to freight.
|04/09/1967||Aberdeen RailwayArbroath and Forfar Railway|
Forfar North Junction (excluded) to Bridge of Dun (excluded) closed to all traffic.
|04/09/1967||Scottish Midland Junction Railway|
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Newtyle, Eassie and Glammiss Railway
Stanley Junction to Kinnaber Junction closed to passengers. Coupar Angus, Alyth Junction, Forfar and Bridge of Dun stations closed.
|/ /1979||Aberdeen Railway|
Brechin Preservation Society formed.
Brechin to Kinnaber Junction (excluded) closed.
New Aberdeen Signalling Centre opened
Laurencekirk station scheduled to re-open. This will be the 65th "Modern Era" re-opening in Scotland.
The line ran from a triangular junction midway between Forfar [2nd] and Arbroath north to Aberdeen by a largely coastal route with branches to Brechin and Montrose. From near Montrose to Aberdeen the line remains open as part of the East Coast Main Line and a portion from Bridge of Dun to Brechin is in preservation as the Caledonian Railway (Preserved). This line runs through agricultural hinterland. The line had branches to the market town of Brechin, port of Montrose and terminated at the port and former garrison of Aberdeen.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the double track mainline of the Aberdeen Railway. Opened partly in 1848 and in stages until completely opened in 1854. The southern portion, now closed, was part of the Strathmore Route. North of the former Kinnaber Junction it remains open. A short portion at Bridge of Dun is in preservation.
Although the site of Guthrie station, just to the west of the junction, has been largely landscaped (except for some buildings), the junction remains recognisable.
This station is closed and the main building is now a private house. The stone road under-bridge to the east of the site has been removed (it was Tudor styled).
This was a two platform station. Nothing remains of the station except the signal box, a disused loading bank and a siding (at the north end east side of the line accessed from the south). The siding formerly served a goods shed.
This is a 13 span double track viaduct 315 yds long overall crossing the River North Esk, 58 ft over the river.
This was a two platform station. It was not convenient for the village of Marykirk, being some distance to the north.
This is a two platform station. The original station building remains on the down (northbound) platform. There was a larger building on the southbound platform, also with canopy, but this has not survived.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the southbound platform. This, and the goods shed, were built in stone. Neither has survived. A building by the former northbound platform still exists, in use as a house, another station building.
This was a two platform station with the main building on the southbound platform.
This was a two platform station with minimal passenger facilities. It was largely a small goods station.
This is a ten section double track girder viaduct. It crossed the Carron Water and now crosses the A92. It is west of Stonehaven station. ...More details
This is a two platform station. When built, this station was quite far outside Stonehaven but the town has expanded to include it. The station is on high ground above the harbour.
This was a 14 span double track viaduct and is now a 10 span viaduct. It crosses Glen Ury and the Cowrie Water.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the northbound platform.
This was a two platform station. A signal box on the west side of the line remained until April 2019. The site is now controlled from Aberdeen.
This is a two platform station. The station is a modern re-opening on the site of the original station, slightly to its south.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the southbound platform, the village side of the station. The buildings were replaced with new larger buildings on both platforms. These were of Caledonian Railway turn of the century design.
This is an important freight yard south of Aberdeen.
This is a double track arched and girder viaduct. The overall length is 283 yards and it is 50 ft high. The central portion consists of six girder sections over the River Dee and roadways, and with five arches at the north end. It is also known as the Ferryhill Viaduct.
This was the junction between the Deeside Railway and the Aberdeen Railway. The junction was just north of Ferryhill Shed [1st] and the Dee Viaduct and south of Ferryhill (Aberdeen) (which survived until 1854 to be replaced by Aberdeen Guild Street), later replaced by Aberdeen Joint. The junction gave access to the branch from Aberdeen Joint.
This junction was south of Aberdeen Guild Street. From this junction the Denburn Valley Line ran through Aberdeen Joint (today's Aberdeen station) leaving the original Aberdeen Guild Street terminus on a short branch.
This double track curve allowed running from Dundee East to Aberdeen. The fork had a chequered history, opening and re-opening a number of times. Opened 1848 and closed 1857. Re-opened 1863 and closed 1867. Re-opened for a final time between 1878 and 1908.
This junction had a very chequered history - opening and re-closing several times.
A small goods yard was opened with the passenger station, just to its south. A new goods yard opened further east during the station expansion.
This is an artificial name for this location.
The original engine shed was located at the east end of the station, north of the line close to a road overbridge.
This single track branch, opened 1848 and closed 1963, ran from Dubton to Montrose [CR], passing under the North British Railway and being met by the Montrose and Bervie Railway close to Montrose [CR].
This station was a terminus. It was the terminus of the 1848 Aberdeen Railway branch from Dubton and was approached from the north east, the line going from Montrose turning first north and then north west to reach Dubton. (The main line of the Aberdeen Railway was extended north to Portlethen in 1849.)
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Aberdeen 1900: Aberdeenshire Sheet 75.11 (Old O.S. Maps of Aberdeenshire)
Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire: 40 Coast and Country Walks
Aberdeen City Centre History Tour
Aberdeen City Centre Through Time
Aberdeen in Old Picture Postcards
Aberdeen in the Fifties and Sixties
Aberdeen Remembered: By Aberdeen City Libraries and Museums
Aberdeen, Inverurie and Pitmedden (OS Landranger Map)
Aberdeen: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (RIAS illustrated architectural guides to Scotland)
Aberdeenshire: South and Aberdeen (Pevsner Architectural Guides) (Pevsner Architectural Guides: Buildings of Scotland)
Aberdeenshire's Lost Railways
Angus and Kincardineshire's Lost Railways
BR Steam in Colour: London to Aberdeen from the Bill Reed Collection
Bradshaw's Guide Scotland's Railways East Coast Berwick to Aberdeen & Beyond: Volume 6
Brechin 1901: Forfarshire Sheet 28.13 (Old O.S. Maps of Forfarshire)
British Railways Steam - King's Cross to Aberdeen: From the Bill Reed Collection
Bygone Montrose: With Inverkeilor, Lunan Bay, Rossie, Usan, Ferryden, Bridge of Dun, Hillside, Dubton and Craigo
Caledonian Routes 1: Aberdeen, Strathmore Line & Branches
Cock o' the North: Aberdeen to Kyle of Lochalsh - Study in Diesel Power Through Its Various Stages
Great North Memories: Aberdeen No. 2: Scenes of the North East's Own Railway
Hidden Aberdeen: History on Your Doorstep and Under Your Feet
Joint Station: Aberdeen Station, 1867-1992
Landranger (54) Dundee & Montrose, Forfar & Arbroath (OS Landranger Map)
Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen
Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen
Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen
Montrose The Postcard Collection
Montrose Through Time
|National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Aberdeen v. 1m|
On Either Side, 1939: The Train between London King's Cross & Edinburgh Waverley, Fort William, Inverness & Aberdeen (Old House)
OS Explorer Map (389) Forfar, Brechin and Edzell (OS Explorer Paper Map) (OS Explorer Active Map)
Railways Of Scotland 4: Aberdeen And The Grampians DVD - Cinerail
Railways Of Scotland 7: Perth To Kinnaber Junction DVD - Cinerail
The Montrose & Bervie Railway: A Study of Transport in South-East Kincardineshire 1770-1966
The Railways of Aberdeen: 150 Years of History: One Hundred and Fifty Years of History
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)||The 'Subbies': The story of Aberdeen's suburban trains 1887-1987|