Opened on the Forfar and Brechin Railway.
Located in a rural location to the north of Careston this was a two platform station with a passing loop and the main station building on the westbound platform.
The goods yard was to the south and approached from the west.
The signal box, opened with the line, was at the west end of the westbound platform.
The station closed to passengers in 1952 and after 1958 the line east to Brechin was closed and signal box reduced to a ground frame. The signal box was replaced with a ground frame in 1959. After a while as a goods terminus the line closed in 1964.
Following closure the station remained in a good state of repair for some considerable time. The site became a scrapyard. The building in particular remained in a slightly run down but still standing and in use condition until the mid 1990s. A bridge still stands to the east end which crossed the line.
The station building has unfortunately been demolished, platforms infilled and a house now occupies the site.
Careston Castle is to the south.
Brechin Shed [1st]
[Brechin West Junction]
Other railway and industry locations
Brechin North Junction
Brechin Shed [2nd]
Brechin East Junction
Clocksbriggs Oil Depot
White Caterthun Hill Fort
Aberlemno Cross Slab
Maison Dieu Chapel Brechin
Brown Caterthun Hill Fort
Lindsay Burial Aisle
Edzell Castle and Garden
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/01/1895||Forfar and Brechin Railway|
Opened from Brechin to Forfar South Junction with stations at Careston, Tannadice and Justinhaugh.
|17/03/1958||Forfar and Brechin Railway|
Brechin (excluded) to Careston (excluded) closed to freight
|07/09/1964||Forfar and Brechin Railway|
Careston to Justinhaugh (excluded) closed to freight.
Brechin 1901: Forfarshire Sheet 28.13 (Old O.S. Maps of Forfarshire)
OS Explorer Map (389) Forfar, Brechin and Edzell (OS Explorer Paper Map) (OS Explorer Active Map)
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|