Cameron Bridge (1854-1969)
Opened on the Leven Railway.
This was an island platform station surrounded by the Cameronbridge Distillery, for which there were many sidings.
As initially built it was a single platform station with a bay at the east end. To the west was a level crossing on the Kirkcaldy to Cupar road. The distillery progressively expanded east, over the River Leven to surround the station.
The road was replaced by a bridge to the east of the station and a further line added to the north of the station when the line was doubled making the platform into an island. The line was doubled in 1910 and the signal box replaced.
The Muiredge Branch, serving several collieries and Muiredge Goods branched off from the east of the station and ran south.
After closure to passengers in 1969 the sidings remained in use serving the distillery until the 1990s. The signal box closed in 1970. Trackwork remains in place.
The location is sometimes described as Windygates, which was at a crossroads roughly a half mile to the north.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Leven Colliery No 3 Pit (Pirnie)
East Fife Central Junction
Buckhaven Saw Mills
Leven Colliery No 4 Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Announcement of planned re-opening to passengers to Cameron Bridge and Leven.