Cameron Bridge [1st]

Location type


Name and dates

Cameron Bridge [1st] (1854-1969)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Leven Railway.


This was an island platform station surrounded by the Cameronbridge Distillery, for which there were many sidings.

As initially built it was a single platform station with a bay at the east end. To the west was a level crossing on the Kirkcaldy to Cupar road. The distillery progressively expanded east, over the River Leven to surround the station.

The road was replaced by a bridge to the east of the station and a further line added to the north of the station when the line was doubled making the platform into an island. The line was doubled in 1910 and the signal box replaced.

The Muiredge Branch, serving several collieries and Muiredge Goods branched off from the east of the station and ran south.

After closure to passengers in 1969 the sidings remained in use serving the distillery until the 1990s. The signal box closed in 1970. Trackwork remains in place.

The location is sometimes described as Windygates, which was at a crossroads roughly a half mile to the north.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Nearby stations
Cameron Bridge
Leven [1st]
Leven [2nd]
Wemyss Castle
West Wemyss
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Thornton Junction
Lundin Links
Glenrothes with Thornton
Leven Colliery No 3 Pit (Pirnie)
Isabella Colliery
Plunks Junction
Bye Pit
East Fife Central Junction
Percival Pit
Kennoway Goods
Wemyss Brickworks
Muiredge Colliery
Cameronbridge Distillery
Windygates Level Crossing [West]
Windygates Level Crossing [East]
Kirkland Dam Level Crossing
Duniface Farm Level Crossing
Kirkland House
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

News items

26/08/2022Minister sees first-hand Levenmouth Rail link progress [Network Rail]


Scotland’s Lost Branch Lines: Where Beeching Got It Wrong