This is a two platform station equipped with large carparks. The main station building is on the southbound platform. The station is on the west side of the town.
The station formerly had a bay at the south end of the south bound platform. The main station was on the southbound platform with another large building on the northbound. The platforms were canopied.
To the north of the station was a goods yard on either side of the line - on the west side sidings and loading banks approached from the north and on the east side two goods sheds, approached from the south.
The signal box was at the north end of the northbound platform. This had been replaced in 1903, probably with the enlargement of the goods yard and laying out of a loop serving the yard between the station and Kirkcaldy Harbour junction.
The signal box closed in 1980, replaced by a temporary panel box (^Kirkcaldy^ actually at Sinclairtown). This was in the run up to the opening of the Edinburgh Signalling Centre. This temporary panel box closed after a few months.
There were many linoleum works in Kirkcaldy including, on the west side and from south to north, the Abbotshall Linoleum Works, Forth Works [Linoleum], Caledonia Works [Linoleum] and Walton Inlaid Linoleum Works and to the north east to the National Works [Linoleum].
There was also a rail served flour mill just south of the National works.
To the north was Kirkcaldy Harbour Junction for Kirkcaldy Harbour and to the south Invertiel Viaduct and Invertiel Junction for the Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway).
The Kirkcaldy Galleries are very close by on the east side of the station.
The Artline - Art and Heritage on the railway in Fife
Glenrothes with Thornton
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
| Caledonia Works [Linoleum]|
Forth Works [Linoleum]
Abbotshall Linoleum Works
Walton Inlaid Linoleum Works
National Works [Linoleum]
Kirkcaldy Harbour Junction
Victoria Road Maltings
Victoria Cabinet Works
Dunniker Coach Works
Victoria Stone Dressing Siding
Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways Power Station
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|31/07/1845||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. Mainline from Burntisland to Perth via Ladybank. Branches from Ladybank to Cupar and Kirkcaldy to the harbour. The Perth station was to be beside the Dundee and Perth Railway station.
|17/09/1847||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
|/ /1854||Robert Douglas|
Move to Kirkcaldy.
|03/03/1896||Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway)|
Line opened as a goods relief line between Invertiel Junction (Kirkcaldy) and Foulford Junction (Cowdenbeath) with a goods station at Auchtertool Goods.
|08/01/1973||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Withdrawal of direct daily Kirkcaldy to Glasgow Queen Street working.
|/05/2011||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Siding lifted at Kirkcaldy.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife