Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
This was a two platform station with the northern part of the platforms partly over Station Road.
The approach to the northbound platform was by a beautiful sweeping curved stone staircase which remains, although bricked off.
There was a compact goods yard on the west side, approached by reversing from the north. The signal box was on the east side of the line opposite the goods yard.
The box closed in 1965 and station in 1967. The railway remains open here.
Other railway and industry locations
Ladybank South Junction
Forthar Lime Works
Bunzion Lime Works
Cults Lime Works
Markinch Co-op Siding
Coaltown of Burnturk
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|17/09/1847||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
|01/01/1917||Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)|
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle closed.
|01/05/1919||Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)|
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle re-opened.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife