Opened on the Fife and Kinross Railway.
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
This is a two platform station with the main original station building on the northbound platform, architect probably David Bell. The building is a complicated structure with different numbers of storeys.
On the southbound platform is a North British Railway waiting room building and an older building known as the 'Laird's Waiting room' (south end of platform). The platforms are linked by subway.
The station is the junction of the lines to Perth and Dundee. It is the central part of the 'Y' of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
There was a bay platform at the south end of the station, this served the Fife and Kinross Railway by reversal. Trains would set out south for a short distance, before reversing to head west.
Between the two lines at the north end of the station was Ladybank Works and Ladybank Shed. The wagon works building still stands.
On the east side of the station, approached from the north east, was the goods yard.
Within the 'V' of the junction was Ladybank North signal box, one of two boxes opened in 1888, along with Ladybank south box which was on the east side of the line opposite the reversing spur for the Auchtermuchty line at Ladybank South Junction.
North to Glenburnie Junction was singled in 1934. The line west to Auchtermuchty closed in 1957.
The north box took over the south box in 1966 when the south box was replaced with a ground frame for the sidings. The box became simply Ladybank Junction. This in turn closed in 1980 when the Edinburgh Signalling Centre took over.
The art studio of Kirsty Lorenz is on platform 2 in the main station building. Also in this building is the Off the Rails Arthouse .
The Artline - Art and Heritage on the railway in Fife
Other railway and industry locations
Ladybank South Junction
Forthar Lime Works
Bunzion Lime Works
Cults Lime Works
Markinch Co-op Siding
Coaltown of Burnturk
Hill of Tarvit Mansion
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|31/07/1845||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. Mainline from Burntisland to Perth via Ladybank. Branches from Ladybank to Cupar and Kirkcaldy to the harbour. The Perth station was to be by the Dundee and Perth Railway station.
|17/09/1847||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
|01/02/1890||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
New further west Bridge of Earn [2nd] station opened to serve both the Perth to Ladybank and Perth to Cowdenbeath lines. Bridge of Earn [1st] closes.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife