Fife and Kinross Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. It was originally a single track line running west from Ladybank to a terminus in Kinross. The junction at Ladybank was awkward requiring a reversal having departing the station.

The Kinross terminus was replaced when the line was extended south to reach the Kinross-shire Railway.

With the opening of the Forth Bridge Railway the portion of line from Kinross [3rd] to Mawcarse was doubled and a portion realigned for main line use.






Dates

  /  /1855[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1857[Kinross-shire Railway]
[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
06/06/1857[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Line opened between Ladybank and Strathmiglo.
09/03/1858[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Line opened from Strathmiglo to Milnathort.
20/08/1858[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Line opened from Milnathort to Hopefield (Kinross).
20/08/1860[Fife and Kinross Railway]
[Kinross-shire Railway]
Joint station opened at Kinross.
  /  /1861Fife and Kinross RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway
Fife and Kinross Railway absorbed by the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
03/06/1950[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Closed to passenger trains.
06/06/1950[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Ladybank to Mawcarse Junction closed to passengers.
29/01/1957[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Ladybank to Auchtermuchty closed to freight.
13/06/1964[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Mawcarse station closed to passengers.
13/06/1964[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Milnathort station closed to passengers.
05/10/1964[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Auchtermuchty to Mawcarse Junction closed to freight.
05/01/1970Kinross-shire Railway Fife and Kinross Railway Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)
Perth (Hilton Junction) to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to passengers.
05/01/1970[Fife and Kinross Railway]
[Glenfarg Line] ([North British Railway])
Bridge of Earn to Milnathort closed to all traffic.
05/01/1970Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)Kinross-shire RailwayFife and Kinross Railway
Cowdenbeath to Perth closed to passengers, Bridge of Earn [2nd] to Milnathort closed to goods, Cowdenbeath to Milnathort singled.
04/05/1970[Kinross-shire Railway]
[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Milnathort to Kelty North Junction closed to freight.
04/05/1970[Kinross-shire Railway]
[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Cowdenbeath to Milnathort closed to goods.
12/07/1972[Kinross-shire Railway]
[Fife and Kinross Railway]
Kelty Coup to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to freight.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Ladybank to Kinross

This is a two platform station with the main original station building on the northbound platform, architect probably David Bell. The building is a complicated structure with different numbers of stories. On the southbound platform is a North British Railway waiting room building. The platforms are linked by subway.
...

More details
With the crossover being south of the station Up trains off the Perth line have to use the Down platform. A four-car 158 from Perth to Edinburgh calls ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Ladybank on 3 October 2018. A train from the Perth line would of necessity be using the other platform. ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
An Arbroath to Edinburgh approaches Ladybank station on 30 January 2019. Since the Edinburgh to Dundee services were extended to Arbroath in December ...
David Panton 30/01/2019
I don't suppose too many golf clubs have a level crossing between the car park and the course. The line is the single track route between Ladybank ...
David Panton 30/01/2019

Removal of vegetation in (non-railway) groundworks immediately to the southwest of Ladybank station has revealed this struture in all its modest ...
David Panton 03/10/2018

This was a single platform station with the platform on the north side of a single track line. The station was south of Auchtermuchty itself.
...

More details
Auchtermuchty station building, incorporated into a larger 'Sterling' Depot building. ...
John Yellowlees 14/01/2017
Looking to Kinross. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/03/2007
Former station at Auchtermuchty. Incorporated into a Sterling furniture depot. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/03/2007
Nice spot for a teabreak. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/03/2007

This was a single platform station on the south side of the single track line. The station was to the north west of Strathmiglo itself.
...

More details
Goods shed at west end of station buildings. The old arched entrance has been modified. ...
Brian Forbes 20/03/2007
Station building west view at Strathmiglo, near wooden part was the waiting room. Platform lifted and chipped over. ...
Brian Forbes 20/03/2007
Strathmiglo station in 1981 after conversion to a house. ...
Craig Seath //1981
Station front at Strathmiglo. Closed to passengers 1950, closed for goods 1964. By kind permisson of Tom Ross. ...
Brian Forbes 20/03/2007

This was a single platform station with a station building at the east end, next to a road overbridge. The platform was on the south side of the single track line.
...

More details
Old bridge over the River Eden at Gateside, the line closed to all traffic circa 1966. The wooden balustrades denote a modern footpath along this ...
Brian Forbes 03/06/2008
Platform is on the other side of this bridge, also on the right hand side under the bridge is the rivulet River Eden.
You can hear it but not see ...
Brian Forbes /09/2006
Gateside station yard 2006. ...
Brian Forbes 12/09/2006
NBR 256 at Gateside with the westbound 1960 RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour. ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 17/06/1960

This was a two platform station.
...

More details
Overbridge to the west of Mawcarse station where the trackbed is crossed by the A911. View looks west. [With thanks to Brian McDevitt for correcting ...
Brian Forbes 01/01/2007
View NE from Arlary Bridge. Mawcarse Junction site is still visible. This was a main junction to either Perth or Ladybank from Kinross and the south. ...
Brian Forbes 29/03/2008
Remains of the east/northbound platform at Mawcarse in 1981 from the road bridge to the east of the station, the view looks west. The southbound ...
Craig Seath //1981


This woollen mill was to the north of Milnathort station and rail served. The mill has largely been demolished, except the stone engine house which is a fine building. It is in derelict condition. ...

More details


This was a two platform station on a double track line, which became a main line, with a goods yard on the north side, approached from the east. The station was south of Milnathort itself.
...

More details
Looking over the station remains at Milnathort in 2010. View is west along the old route to Kinross showing the surviving wooden platform sections ...
John Furnevel 03/09/2010
Old LNER milepost photographed near Milnathort in April 1999, nearly 30 years after the line was lifted. ...
David Panton /04/1999
The remaining wooden platforms at the west end of Milnathort, the double track metal bridge between them crosses the North Queich. ...
Brian Forbes 08/05/2008
Looking east from the remaining short sections of platform to the goods shed at Milnathort. ...
Ewan Crawford 1X/02/1999

This station opened with the opening of the Forth Bridge Railway and Glenfarg Line (North British Railway). It was an island platform station.
...

More details
I've heard rumours that this was a portion of platform remaining at Kinross Junction. A revisit confirmed this is a length of retaining wall on the ...
Ewan Crawford 12/01/2018
Demolition remains at the site of Kinross Junction station near junction 6 of the M90 on 15 September 2008. [The view is close to the location shown ...
Bill Roberton 15/09/2008
The South & West Railway Society Granite City from Euston heads north through Kinross Junction on the Glenfarg Line on 3 September 1966 behind ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 03/09/1966

This was a terminus opened at Hopefield - the terminus of Fife and Kinross Railway. Closed as not used in end on junction. ...

More details




Kinross Extension

This station opened with the opening of the Forth Bridge Railway and Glenfarg Line (North British Railway). It was an island platform station.
...

More details
I've heard rumours that this was a portion of platform remaining at Kinross Junction. A revisit confirmed this is a length of retaining wall on the ...
Ewan Crawford 12/01/2018
Demolition remains at the site of Kinross Junction station near junction 6 of the M90 on 15 September 2008. [The view is close to the location shown ...
Bill Roberton 15/09/2008
The South & West Railway Society Granite City from Euston heads north through Kinross Junction on the Glenfarg Line on 3 September 1966 behind ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 03/09/1966

This station replaced Kinross [1st] when the Fife and Kinross Railway met the Kinross-shire Railway at Loch Leven, Kinross [3rd].
...

More details

This was a two platform station. There was a goods yard and locomotive shed to the south (or east) of Kinross High Street, the station was to the north (or west) of this.
...

More details
Surviving building standing on the site of the up platform of the former Loch Leven station, seen here in October 2007 in use by a local plumbing ...
John Furnevel 23/10/2007
Work in progress on new and refurbished housing at the south end of Kinross in May 2005 includes part of the former Loch Leven station. The main ...
John Furnevel 28/05/2005
The back of the Down buildings (left) and the modest station house at Loch Leven, which opened as Kinross and closed as long ago as 1924. [See image ...
David Panton 29/04/2011
Loch Leven in the spring of 2005. View south showing the former entrance and main building on the up platform. ...
John Furnevel 28/05/2005