This junction was north of Cowdenbeath station. It was formed between the Kelty to Cowdenbeath (North British Railway) of 1890, (part of the improvements made for the Edinburgh-Perth route before the opening of the forth Bridge), and the Cowdenbeath North Junction to Lumphinnans Central Junction (North British Railway) link of 1900.
The latter was added to allow Cowdenbeath station to serve not only the Edinburgh-Perth route but also the Dunfermline-Thornton Junction route. It allowed Cowdenbeath (Old) to close in 1919.
A signal box opened with the junction but was taken over by the box at Cowdenbeath in 1929.
The line beyond Kelty closed in 1970 and the route was singled. It closed completely in 1972. The formation of the junction can still be seen.
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
| Lumphinnans Iron Works|
Doura Opencast Loading Pad
Foulford Colliery Pit No 1
Lumphinnans No 1 Colliery
Lumphinnans West Junction
Cowdenbeath No 7
Cowdenbeath Colliery Shed
Cowdenbeath Colliery No 8
National Coal Board Central Works Fife
Lumphinnans Pit No 7
Cowdenbeath Pit No 3
Cowdenbeath Pit No 9
Lumphinnans Central Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|05/01/1970||Kinross-shire Railway Fife and Kinross Railway Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)|
Perth (Hilton Junction) to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to passengers.
Fife and Kinross Railway|
Kelty Coup (by Kelty) to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to freight.