Milnathort

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Milnathort (1858-1964)

Opened on the Fife and Kinross Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station on a double track line, which became a main line, with a goods yard on the north side, approached from the east. The station was south of Milnathort itself.

This goods yard had a goods shed and a siding for Orwell Vale Mill (Woollen). To the south were auction mart sidings, also served from the east.

The platforms were built in timber on girders over the North Queich, the rest in stone. There was a station building to the west of the Queich on the eastbound platform. A smaller building was half way along the westbound platform.

In its original form the station was different. There was a locomotive shed, Milnathort Shed, at the east end, north side of the line and a goods yard on the south side.

Closure to passengers was in 1964 and the line closed in 1970. The site was partly cleared but the goods shed survived into the 1980s. The bridge over the North Queich remains today. The remainder of the site is redeveloped or awaiting redevelopment.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map