This is a two platform station. The main station building, a modern structure, is on the up platform. The station features a lattice footbridge. The signal box, opened in 1901, was at the south end of the southbound platform.
Goods facilities were at Cowdenbeath (Old) station, not far to the south on the original alignment. (A single siding later opened north of the station, and Union Street, on the west side, served from the north.)
The station was opened on the 1890 Cowdenbeath South Junction to Kelty South Junction shortcut which opened with the Forth Bridge Railway as one of the many improvements to the route between Edinburgh Waverley and Perth.
In 1900 a new link was installed between Cowdenbeath North Junction and Lumphinnans Central Junction.
Cowdenbeath (Old) station closed in 1919.
The box for Cowdenbeath North Junction closed in 1929 and was taken over by the box at the station. (The box may also have been responsible for the triangular Kirkford Colliery Junction to the south, although this may have been controlled by Mossbeath box - see Mossbeath Colliery Sidings.)
The line beyond Kelty was closed in 1970 and the portion to Kelty singled. It closed in 1972.
The box closed in 1981, taken over by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
| Cowdenbeath No 7|
Cowdenbeath Colliery Shed
Cowdenbeath Colliery No 8
Cowdenbeath Pit No 3
Doura Opencast Loading Pad
National Coal Board Central Works Fife
Kirkford Colliery Junction
Cowdenbeath North Junction
Foulford Colliery Pit No 1
Cowdenbeath Pit No 9
Raith Colliery Dora Pit
Lumphinnans Iron Works
Raith Colliery Lady Pit
Raith Colliery Gordon Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Opened from Cowdenbeath to Kinross.
|01/02/1890||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
New further west Bridge of Earn [2nd] station opened to serve both the Perth to Ladybank and Perth to Cowdenbeath lines. Bridge of Earn [1st] closes.
|29/03/1919||Cowdenbeath Loop (North British Railway)|
All passenger trains start to use the Cowdenbeath (New) deviation.
|/ /1920||Fife Coal Company|
Foulford Colliery Pit No 1, to the east of Cowdenbeath station near Foulford Junction and owned by the Fife Coal Company and previously the Cowdenbeath Coal Company, is closed temporarily in the 1920s.
|17/11/1963||Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway)|
Invertiel Junction to Cowdenbeath closed.
|05/01/1970||Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)
Fife and Kinross Railway|
Cowdenbeath to Perth closed to passengers, Bridge of Earn [2nd] to Milnathort closed to goods, Cowdenbeath to Milnathort singled.
Â£5 million contract to rationalise trackwork from Dalmeny to Cupar, Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath.
|/ /1981||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Signaling from Dalmeny to Cupar, Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath transferred to the new Edinburgh Signalling Centre.