Dalmeny

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Forth Bridge [Station] (1890-1890)
Dalmeny (1890-)

Opened on the Forth Bridge Railway.

Open on the Fife Circle.
Open on the Edinburgh to Perth.
Open on the Edinburgh to Dundee.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This is a two platform station located just south of the Forth Bridge. The station retains its original buildings. The main station building is on the northbound platform. A former sandstone station building is on the west side, at street level, on Station Road. Covered walkways formerly ran down to the road.

There is a car park on the west side of the station.

Just south of the station there are loops on either side of the line. Also at the south end is a maintenance depot and workshops on the east side, accessed from the south.

Dalmeny signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform. It closed in 1979, taken over by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre. There was a scissors cross over north of the station.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67