Cowdenbeath [1st] (1850-1890)
Cowdenbeath (Old) (1890-1919)
Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the west (down) side of the line accessed from the north. Cowdenbeath Pit No 3 was located just to the north of the goods yard. The goods yard is now a car park.
When it opened Cowdenbeath barely existed. The town was developed in connection with the mines and railways that served them.
A second station, Cowdenbeath (New) opened on a new shortcut between Cowdenbeath South Junction and Kelty South Junction in 1890, part of the improvements to the Edinburgh Waverley to Perth route for the opening of the Forth Bridge Railway.
This station was replaced by Cowdenbeath when a new alignment between Cowdenbeath North Junction and Lumphinnans Central Junction opened in 1919. The old station closed. The two stations had been open simultaneously for 29 years.
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
Other railway and industry locations
Cowdenbeath Pit No 3
Cowdenbeath Colliery Shed
Cowdenbeath No 7
Doura Opencast Loading Pad
Cowdenbeath Pit No 9
Cowdenbeath Tram Depot
Whiskey Neuk Pit
Cowdenbeath North Junction
Cowdenbeath South Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|