Cowdenbeath Junction (1890-1900)
Cowdenbeath South Junction (1900-1987)
Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).
Opened on the Kelty to Cowdenbeath (North British Railway).
This junction was south of Cowdenbeath station. It opened in 1890 with Kelty to Cowdenbeath (North British Railway), one of the improvements of the Edinburgh to Perth route built for the opening of the Forth Bridge.
It was renamed Cowdenbeath South Junction in 1900 with the opening of Cowdenbeath North Junction, the south end of a short connection to Lumphinnans Central Junctions which allowed Cowdenbeath to also serve the Dunfermline to Thornton Junction route.
The box was replaced in 1957 and was closed between 1972 and 1974, reopening for the Doura Opencast Loading Pad (just north of Cowdenbeath (Old)). The box was on the south side of the junction.
The original route via Cowdenbeath (Old) closed as a through route in 1966 and the Kelty line had closed in 1972.
The box closed in 1981 when taken over by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre. The junction was taken out in the 1980s.
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
Other railway and industry locations
Cowdenbeath South Junction
Mossbeath Colliery Sidings
Raith Colliery Sidings
Cowdenbeath Tram Depot
Hill of Beath Fireclay Works
Kirkford Colliery Junction
Raith Colliery Lady Pit
Raith Colliery Dora Pit
No 9 Pit
Lady Anne Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|