Glenburnie Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Glenburnie Junction (1909-1960)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
Opened on the Newburgh and North Fife Railway.

Description

The Edinburgh and Northern Railway, a double track line, was met by the single track Newburgh and North Fife Railway. The St Fort line doubled before joining and had a looped refuge siding.

The signal box was located in the 'V' of the junction. A temporary box opened here for the construction of the new line in 1908 and the permanent box in 1909 for its opening.

The main line from Ladybank, to the south, was singled in 1934 but remained double to the north to Newburgh [2nd].

The box closed in 1960.

The junction is closed and lifted and the remaining line singled here.

Tags

Junction 12/05/2019




Dates

25/01/1909Newburgh and North Fife Railway
Line opened from Newburgh (Glenburnie Junction) to St Fort.
04/04/1960Newburgh and North Fife Railway
Glenburnie Junction to Lindores [2nd] (excluded) closed to freight.
13/05/1960[Newburgh and North Fife Railway]
Glenburnie Junction to Lindores [2nd] (excluded) closed.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)

Fife's Last Days of Steam

Fife's Last Days of Steam

Fife's Lost Railways

Fife's Lost Railways

Railways of Fife

The Railways of Fife