This line is closed. It was built to give the North British Railway a route to compete with the Caledonian Railway's Dundee and Perth Railway. The route was longer and not as well engineered so could not compete for speed, but did serve different locations on the south bank of the Tay. The line was single track but land was taken for a double track with road bridges built to take two tracks. A west to south curve at St Fort was to allow trains from St Andrews [2nd] to approach Perth.
Traffic was disappointing.
The Order of the Railway and Canal Commission of 28/03/1912 tells a story. This compelled the North British Railway to
- fairly develop traffic on the Newburgh line and work all shortest route traffic via the line
- increase the train service and through facilities
- keep open the St Fort West Junction to St Fort South Junction curve
- advertise the line including through route, season, tourist and excursion tickets
- work goods traffic via the line, when it constitutes the shortest route
The St Fort West Junction to St Fort South Junction closed in 1924.
It closed to passengers in 1951 and as a through route in 1960.
|/ /1897||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Newburgh and North Fife Railway authorised. Facilities (what?) granted to the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1906||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Extension of time granted to complete works.
|25/01/1909||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Line opened from Newburgh (Glenburnie Junction) to St Fort.
|28/03/1912||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
An Order of the Railway and Canal Commission compels the North British Railway to - fairly develop traffic on the Newburgh line and work all shortest route traffic via the line - increase the train service and through facilities - keep open the St Fort West Junction to St Fort South Junction curve - advertise the line including through route, season, tourist and excursion tickets - work goods traffic via the line, when it constitutes the shortest route
|01/01/1923||North British Railway
Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway
Great North of Scotland Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway
Gifford and Garvald Railway
Newburgh and North Fife Railway
Lauder Light Railway
Great Central Railway|
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
|10/02/1951||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Closed to passenger trains
|12/02/1951||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Newburgh (Glenburnie Junction) to St Fort closed to passengers.
|04/04/1960||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Glenburnie Junction to Lindores [2nd] (excluded) closed to freight.
|13/05/1960||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Glenburnie Junction to Lindores [2nd] (excluded) closed.
|08/08/1964||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
St Fort to Lindores [2nd] closed.
|05/10/1964||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Lindores [2nd] to St Fort closed to freight.
These locations are along the line.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. There was a goods yard on the west side which was approached from the south. The signal box closed in 1928 but a ground frame remained for the goods yard. The station closed to passengers in 1951. The line closed in 1964.
This is small double track arched bridge over a minor road, crossing on an oblique. It is listed 'C'. It is typical of the line's bridges which were built in mass concrete.. The line was single track, the structures double track to allow future doubling which was never proceeded with. Many of the route's bridges were demolished, or were girder bridges, but this one remains standing. The arch is ...More details
This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a water tank at the west end of the westbound platform. A goods yard was to the north, served from the east end. Catch points were at the east end of the westbound loop.
At St Fort West Junction the Newburgh and St Fort Railway forked into two single tracks to join the Edinburgh and Northern Railway with a triangular junction. To the west of St Fort West Junction was a passing loop. The signal box was on the west side in the northern part of the passing loop.
This was a two platform station on the double track approach to the Tay Bridge from Leuchars. The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north. The signal box was on the east side opposite.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways