This double track girder viaduct is the longest viaduct in the United Kingdom at 10,711 ft. It crosses the River Tay between Wormit and Dundee.
The viaduct replaced the Tay Bridge [1st], 59 ft downstream. It is 89 spans long. 118 girders from the original bridge were reused in the new bridge. The original bridge partially collapsed in a storm in 1879 leading to the deaths of those on board a train crossing the bridge. The decision was taken to replace, rather than repair, the bridge.
From the south there are four brick arches, Tay Bridge South Signal Box being on the southern arch which crosses Bay Road, 24 girders below the line, 13 high girders which enclose the train and provide clearance for shipping, 12 large girders below the line, 25 smaller girders on a curve, and 2 steel arches over the Esplanade and Riverside Drive, followed by several lattice girders and inverted bowstrings to support the platforms of the closed Dundee Esplanade station. The platform buildings portion of the structure is supported on brick and a run of several brick arches carry the line east from the station to Dundee Central Junction.
The northern portion of the viaduct is on a curve to turn the line from northbound to eastbound on the approach to the Dundee shoreline.
Dundee Ward Road
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Dundee Trades Lane
Offset at Back of Law
| Tay Bridge [1st]|
Tay Bridge South Junction [1st]
Tay Bridge South Junction
Dundee West MPD
Dundee Central Junction
Dundee West Mineral Yard
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Tay Bridge Minerals
Wormit Signal Box
Tay Bridge Goods
Esplanade Junction Signal Box
Dundee Signalling Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1878||Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)|
Public opening of bridge and line between Camperdown Junction, Dundee (Tay Bridge) station and Leuchars. The Tay Bridge [1st] was single track and the other part of the line double. The bridge had signal boxes at either end. The engineer for the line was Thomas Bouch, knighted after Queen Victoria travelled over the bridge.
|19/06/1887||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Junction to Broughty Pier closed to passengers on opening of the new Tay Bridge.
|13/07/1887||Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)|
New double track Tay Bridge opened. (Alternative date 6/1887).
|/ /1889||Dundee and Perth Railway|
Dundee West station rebuilt with superb baronial building at entrance and large glass canopy covering the platforms behind. Station rebuilt with growing competition from the North British Railway's Dundee Tay Bridge [Station], to the south, following the opening of the second Tay Bridge.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways