This was a two platform station at the south end of the Tay Bridge and start of the Newport Railway. The line became single track as it ran east to Tayport.
The station opened with the second Tay Bridge and had no platforms on the main line south to St Fort. The station was built on a new curve built to replace the Newport line's original approach to the first bridge. This alignment was slightly to the south of the original and, like the original, passed through a tunnel under Naughton Road. The newer tunnel was longer than the original.
Wormit Goods station was on the main line.
In this area was the foundry used to build the Tay Bridge [1st].
An accident occurred here in 1955.
The station closed in 1969. The station building can now be found at Bo'ness on the preserved Boness and Kinneil Railway.
Dundee Ward Road
Dundee Trades Lane
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Offset at Back of Law
| Tay Bridge South Junction|
Tay Bridge South Junction [1st]
Wormit Signal Box
Tay Bridge [1st]
Newton Ballast Hill
Tayfield Den Viaduct
Linkswood Oil Depot
St Fort West Junction
Dundee West Shed
St Fort South Junction
Dundee Central Junction
Newport-on-Tay Ferry Terminal
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Wormit to Tayport via Newport opened. A new short bridge opened from Wormit to meet the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway) at a junction just offshore. A second signal box was at this junction.
Newport to Wormit opened.
Excursion train de-railed at Wormit.
|22/05/1966||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Tayport, now a terminus from Wormit, closed.
Wormit to Newport-on-Tay closed to passengers.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways