Newport Railway

Introduction

This line is closed.






Dates

  /  /1862[Cowes and Newport Railway]
Opened.
05/07/1865[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
Act passed.
17/09/1874[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
Opened from Pontypool South Junction to Maindee Junctions opened to goods.
21/12/1874[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
Opened from Pontypool North Junction to Panteg Junction avoiding Coedygric Sidings. Passenger train start to use the line and run to Newport station on the [South Wales Railway].
  /  /1875[Ryde and Newport Railway]
Line opened.
01/01/1875[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
[London and North Western Railway] uses line for Shrewsbury to Newport Mill Street.
  /  /1878[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
Connection made from Llantarnam Junction to Cwmbran Junction on the [Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company] line. [Great Western Railway] trains divert to main Newport station.
08/08/1878Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway
Act passed. Promoted by J.C. Parkinson of the Alexandra Docks and Railway and Sir George Elliot of Powell Duffryn Collieries. Double track line to run from south of the Taff Vale Railway's Pontypridd station (Pontypool, Caerphilly and Newport Junction) to Caerphilly (Penrhos Upper Junction) on the Rhymney Railway. Running powers over the Brecon and Merthyr Railway's Caerphilly Branch to Machen and on to Bassaleg Junction with the Alexandra Docks and Railway. Engineer Sir James W. Szlumper.
  /03/1879[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
[London and North Western Railway] stop using line for passengers. Cwmbran to Mill Street becomes freight only.
12/05/1879Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Tay Port altered to become a through station on the Newport Railway, afterwards known as Tayport.
  /  /1883[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
Plans to use the Nixons Private Railway and Powel Duffryn Private Railway to run up the valley from Abercynon to Aberdare.
  /  /1884[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
[Taff Vale Railway] works line from Pontypridd to near Alexandra Docks.
07/07/1884[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
First attempt to open new route. Train departs Pontypridd but is blocked by the [Great Western Railway] at Bassaleg Junction.
25/07/1884[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
Through route is allowed to operate.
  /04/1886[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
Own section of track through Park Mile is opened to West Mendalgief Junction. Route authorised to east of existing lines, but is swapped with [Great Western Railway] for use of original westernmost route. [Great Western Railway] moves sideways onto new tracks.
28/12/1887[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
Passenger service started from Newport to Pontypridd.
  /  /1888[Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway]
Construction begins.
  /  /1889[Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway]
Construction complete.
  /  /1889[Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway]
Line operated by the [Isle of Wight Central Railway].
06/07/1897[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
[Alexandra Docks and Railway]
Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway taken over by Alexandra Docks and Railway.
01/01/1899[Great Western Railway]
Takes over the [Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway] Newport to Pontypridd passenger service.
  /  /1900[Newport Railway]
[North British Railway]
Newport Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/09/1904[Alexandra Docks and Railway]
New service from Pontypridd (Tram Road) Halt on the [Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway], east of the [Taff Vale Railway] station, to Caerphilly started. Uses two steam railmotors built by the Glasgow Railway and Engineering Company of Govan. Seven halts opened on route.
01/03/1909[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
New Pontypool Road station opened.
  /  /1913[Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway]
[Isle of Wight Central Railway] ceases to operate line.
10/07/1922[Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
Tram Road Motor Halt, Pontypridd, closed when the [Great Western Railway] arranges for Newport trains to use the [Taff Vale Railway]s Pontypridd station.
17/09/1956[Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
[Caerphilly Branch] ([Brecon and Merthyr Railway])
Passenger service from Pontypridd to Caerphilly and Machen withdrawn.
29/07/1967[Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway]
Pontypridd to Glyntaff goods depot closed.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Wormit to Tayport

This junction opened in 1879 when the Newport Railway was opened to meet the 1878 Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway) at the south end of the Tay Bridge [1st]. The southern end of the bridge was modified with the addition of a new girder bridge which met the existing bridge offshore. The junction was entirely offshore.
...

More details

This was a single platform station on the north side of the line. The station building was at the west end. The building was brick built, rectangular with a flat roof. There was no goods yard.
...

More details
Remains of the painted station sign alongside the former westbound platform at Newport-on-Tay West in 1996. The 'RT' can still be made out on the ...
Ewan Crawford //1996


This was a two platform station with a loop on a single line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform, at its south end. The signal box was half way along the same platform.
...

More details
The former station at Newport-on-Tay East, (opened as East Newport in 1879) seen in June 2008 looking towards Tayport. The eastbound platform ran ...
Brian Forbes 11/06/2008
A sunny morning in East Station Place, Newport on Tay, in May 2005, showing the converted Newport-on-Tay East Station. View towards Tayport. ...
John Furnevel 10/05/2005
View along East Station Place, Newport-on-Tay, in May 2005. The former Newport-on-Tay East station building (closed in May 1969) stands out from the ...
John Furnevel 10/05/2005


Terminus

...

More details
View from the Bell Rock Hotel, across the level crossing and Tayport station site on 8th August 2018. Broughty Ferry is in the distance.
...
Gary Straiton 08/08/2018
In 1996 one solitary building from the railway remained, the brick building off to the right. This has since been demolished. The brick wall, which ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View south on what was the southbound platform at Tayport station. The Newport platform was off to the right. To the left is the harbour from which ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
The housing covers a large goods yard. Centre of pier was where tramp steamers tied up. There was a wagon tip-up which when the door was opened ...
Brian Forbes /03/2007