This was a two platform station on the double track approach to the Tay Bridge from Leuchars. The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north. The signal box was on the east side opposite.
The Newburgh and St Fort Railway opened to a triangular junction to the south of the station. The station's box was replaced by St Fort North box in 1909, to the south of the station on the west side. St Fort North Junction was just to the south. The line to Glenburnie doubled before meeting main line.
In 1924 the St Fort South Junction to St Fort West Junction curve closed and the junction at the station became simply St Fort Junction.
The branch closed to Luthrie in 1965. The station closed in 1965. The signal box was closed in 1966. The railway remains open.
Newton Ballast Hill was to the north. The Linkswood Oil Depot, for oil to the Leuchars air base, is to the south of the former station on the east side of the main line.
Dundee Trades Lane
Dundee Ward Road
| Linkswood Oil Depot|
St Fort West Junction
St Fort South Junction
Newton Ballast Hill
Wormit Signal Box
Tay Bridge South Junction
Tay Bridge South Junction [1st]
Tayfield Den Viaduct
Tay Bridge [1st]
Newport-on-Tay Ferry Terminal
St Athernase Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|25/01/1909||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Line opened from Newburgh (Glenburnie Junction) to St Fort.
|12/02/1951||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Newburgh (Glenburnie Junction) to St Fort closed to passengers.
|08/08/1964||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
St Fort to Lindores [2nd] closed.
|05/10/1964||Newburgh and North Fife Railway|
Lindores [2nd] to St Fort closed to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways