Dundee Esplanade (1889-1939)
Opened on the Tay Bridge (North British Railway).
This was a two platform station at the north end of the Tay Bridge. The station remains largely intact and the southbound station building is used by engineers for maintenance of the bridge. The platforms are timber. The station extends out over Riverside Drive.
It is close to what was Buckingham Point on the original shoreline.
To the east of the station there were sidings on both sides, approached from the east. The southern group have been removed and the northern group reduced to two only.
The station was west of Dundee station.
Dundee Ward Road
Dundee Trades Lane
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Offset at Back of Law
Other railway and industry locations
Dundee West Shed
Dundee Central Junction
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Dundee West Goods
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Old Signal Box
Dundee Earl Grey Dock
Tay Bridge [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways