Esplanade Junction Signal Box (1888-1921)
Opened on the Dundee and Perth Railway.
Dundee's waterfront from Invergowrie Bay east to Stannergate is built on land reclaimed from the sea. The Esplanade, the land between Ninewells and Craig Pier, was recovered by the town and railway companies and the southern portion was to become a pleasant parkland by the sea, a process which had began when the Dundee and Perth Railway ran across the beach at Seabraes and Yeaman Shore to reach the west side of the city and docks. The land between the railway's embankment and shore was recovered. In the 1850s a long sea wall was erected between the Craig Pier and Buckingham Point behind which the Esplanade was recovered allowing Dundee West to be expanded and the Tay Bridge [1st] to be built along with Tay Bridge [Station] (now Dundee) station. This land reclamation continued further west to include parts of Magdalen Green.
Esplanade Junction box allowed access to a siding on the south side of the Dundee and Perth Railway, a last vestige of temporary railways used to deliver material to reclaim the foreshore. The box can be seen on OS maps marked 'Old Signal Box'.
The Esplanade road is now known as Riverside Drive.
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Dundee Ward Road
Offset at Back of Law
Dundee Trades Lane
Other railway and industry locations
Dundee West Shed
Dundee Central Junction
Camperdown Linen Works
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Tay Bridge Minerals
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Tay Bridge [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways