Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Station code: DEE National Rail ScotRail
This station is the main station in Dundee. It is an island platform station, with two bay platforms at the west end, located in a deep dressed stone cutting. The station building, brick built, is of two storeys with the second floor at ground level. On the south side of the cutting five timber bridges cross from street level to top level offices. The station underwent a major facelift in 2017 with a new curved grand entrance at the east end.
The station features a communal piano, a memorial by Dave Patterson to his wife Jean, who worked at the station.
The station was opened with the Tay Bridge [1st] by the North British Railway. To its north was the Caledonian Railway's competing Dundee West terminus which predated it. The newer station connected together the west and east sides of the city with a passenger carrying main line, before it opened the terminus stations at Dundee West and Dundee East were connected by a street railway only carrying goods.
To the east of the station is Dock Street Tunnel which requires continuous pumping. The line emerges alongside the former Dundee East station at Camperdown Junction.
The station had signal boxes at either end. The west end box (replaced 1899) was just off the island platform and surrounded by rails and scissors for the dock platforms directly east of the box. The east box was at the east end of the platform. Both boxes closed in 1985, replaced by the Dundee Signalling Centre.
The foreshore at Dundee was reclaimed in several stages, extending progressively south onto the former beach. Tay Bridge station and its approaches were built on reclaimed yard.
The street level building at Dundee has been replaced with a new ticket hall and hotel. Dundee Station Redevelopment
Sleeperz Hotels - Dundee
The station is close to the sea in the south of Dundee, just to the south west of the city centre.
Across the A85 and to the east of the station is the RRS Discovery alongside the River Tay.
Beyond the Discovery is the new V&A Dundee Museum.
Dundee Heritage Walks
Dundee Ward Road
Dundee Trades Lane
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
| Dundee Signalling Centre|
Tay Bridge Goods
Dundee West Goods
Tay Bridge Minerals
Dock Street Tunnel
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Dundee Earl Grey Dock
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Dundee Central Junction
Dundee West Shed
Dundee Craig Harbour
V and A Museum Dundee
Dundee Victoria Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|24/05/1847||Dundee and Arbroath Railway Forfar and Broughty Ferry Direct Railway|
Dundee to Barnhill opened.
Newport-on-Tay East to Dundee (Tay Bridge South Junction) closed to passengers.
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways