This goods depot was directly north of the present Dundee station, which belong to the competing North British Railway. Dundee West was the Caledonian Railway station and was to its immediate north until its closure in 1965. The goods yard was approached from the west, from the line from Perth.
The goods yard and Dundee West were built on reclaimed land. as the eastern terminus of the Dundee and Perth Railway. The yard was rebuilt after the 1863 merger with the Scottish Central Railway. This version was to have Dundee Goods Sidings signal box, at the point of divergence of the goods lines from the approach to Dundee West. This box closed in 1887, taken over by the new Buckingham Junction box. (It appears to have remained in place for some time.)
It was rebuilt again in the 1880s. There was a large goods shed and two faced loading bank to the south. A street tramway continued east from the goods yard (Dundee Harbour Line) to the docks and Dundee East station.
In addition to the goods yard there were mineral sidings further west on the north side of the railway.
Approach to the yard was from just east of Buckingham Junction.
The yard survived the closure of Dundee West.
The site is now built over.
Dundee Ward Road
Dundee Trades Lane
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
| Dundee Signalling Centre|
Tay Bridge Goods
Dundee Craig Harbour
Dock Street Tunnel
Dundee Earl Grey Dock
Tay Bridge Minerals
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Dundee West Mineral Yard
Dundee Central Junction
V and A Museum Dundee
HM Frigate Unicorn
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways