Buckingham Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Buckingham Junction (1878-)

Opened on the Dundee and Perth Railway.
Opened on the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway).

Description

This was the junction between the Dundee and Perth Railway's approach to Dundee West and a short spur from the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)'s Dundee Central Junction. It was paid for by the North British Railway[ but staffed by, and in the style of, the Caledonian Railway. The connection allowed trains from the Perth direction to enter Tay Bridge [Station] (now Dundee) from the west.

Both lines were double track. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. It opened in 1878, when the connection was first made. It was replaced in 1886 when the second Tay Bridge was about to open (in 1887). This second box was a two frame box, somewhat overhanging its brick base. It was replaced in 1958 due to the condition of the older box.

A Buckingham Junction still exists but with the closure of Dundee West in 1965 it is now access to sidings.

The 1958 box closed in 1985 replaced by the Dundee Signalling Centre. Track was further rationalised and approach from Perth was realigned to remove kinks on the approach to Dundee station.

Tags

Junction two frame box


Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways