This junction opened shortly after the new Tay Bridge opened in 1887. The junction was between the main line to the south and the local line to Newport.
It replaced Tay Bridge South Junction [1st] which was closed following the collapse of the Tay Bridge [1st].
With the new bridge Wormit station was opened on the Newport line, the junction's signal box being at the north end of the station's northbound platform. The box opened somewhere between 1887 and 1889. The Wormit end of the Newport Railway required alteration to bring it to the south end of the new bridge (the old bridge was a little to the east) and to serve the new station.
Wormit Goods was nearby on the main line to the south.
The Newport line closed in 1969.
The box remains open.
Dundee Ward Road
Dundee Trades Lane
Ninewells Junction [Station]
| Tay Bridge South Junction [1st]|
Wormit Signal Box
Tay Bridge [1st]
Newton Ballast Hill
Tayfield Den Viaduct
Linkswood Oil Depot
Dundee West Shed
Dundee Central Junction
St Fort West Junction
St Fort South Junction
Tay Bridge Minerals
Newport-on-Tay Ferry Terminal
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Newport-on-Tay East to Tay Bridge South Junction closed to freight.
Newport-on-Tay East to Dundee (Tay Bridge South Junction) closed to passengers.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways