Falkland Road (1847-1958)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
This was a two platform station. The main building building, on the northbound platform, survived into the 1980s.
There was a goods yard at the north end, on the west side, approached from the north. The signal box was at the north end of the southbound platform.
The station closed in 1958 but the box lasted until 1965.
Falkland Palace and Falkland are about 3 miles to the north west by road.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Forthar Lime Works
Ladybank South Junction
Auchmuty Paper Mill
Rothes Paper Mill
Fettykill Paper Mill
Coaltown of Burnturk
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|17/09/1847||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife