Burntisland [1st] (1847-1951)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the southern terminus of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. A Thomas Bouch designed train ferry operated from here to Granton. It was replaced by the present Burntisland station, a through station on the approach to the Forth Bridge, just to the north.
The classically styled two storey building has a colonnade at the front. The architect is probably the same as for the rest of the line, David Bell. This frontage is probably the finest in Scotland. It is a remarkable survivor. The terminus tracks and trainshed behind the building have been removed.
Formerly dock lines ran from east of the station to the docks which are south and west of the station. The docks handled coal exports, later bauxite import and other uses.
Several art studios are now based in the station building Artline Burntisland one of which is EKleKtiK .
The Artline - Art and Heritage on the railway in Fife
Granton Gasworks [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Burntisland Locomotive Workshops
Burntisland East Junction
Burntisland Aluminium Works
Newbiggin Signal Box [2nd]
Newbigging Limestone Mine
Orrock Hill Quarry
Seafield Ground Frame
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife