This was the terminus of the line from Edinburgh Canal Street after its extension from Trinity [1st]. It was located on the middle pier at Granton Harbour. From this pier operated, after 1850, the world's first train ferry (for the ferry services see Granton Pier).
The station had a single platform on the west side of the rounding loop, harbour lines and slip lines. The station building was on the long, rather poor, largely wooden building with a canopy standing on the wooden platform. Lines ran onto Granton Pier from which a train ferry operated to Burntisland Albert Pier in Fife. The linkspan to the ferry and the ferries themselves were designed by Thomas Bouch. Trains themselves were loaded onto the specially built and equipped boats.
After 1890, when the Forth Bridge opened, train ferries no longer ran to Burntisland Albert Pier. But the passenger ferry service continued, with fewer steamers.
The station closed in 1925 and the signal box closed in 1933 (this was to the south of the station, on the north side of the junction where a connection over Harbour Road was made with the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Some railway lines remain in place on the pier. Nothing remains of the passenger station. The slip still exists. The site of the station is now the Royal Forth Yacht Club .
Granton Gasworks [Station]
East Pilton Halt
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Granton Pier|
Granton High Goods
Granton Iron Works
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Granton Shell Siding
Bruce Peebles Ltd
Pilton West Junction
Caroline Park Ironworks
Pilton Junction East
Trinity Chain Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/05/1838||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Victoria Jetty, Granton opened for traffic to Burntisland.
|/ /1844||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
An Act is passed renaming the company the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway and giving assent to building branches from Trinity [1st] to Granton and from Warriston Junction to [North] Leith.
|/ /1846||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Act for Caledonian Railway branch from Slateford to Granton rejected by Government.
|19/02/1846||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Trinity [2nd] and the line to Granton opened, Trinity [1st] turned into a goods station.
|/ /1850||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
World's first train ferry operates from Granton to Burntisland [1st].
|/ /1876||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Burntisland [1st] to Granton train ferry withdrawn.
|02/11/1925||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Granton to Powderhall (Bonnington South Junction) closed to passengers on withdrawal of Granton to Edinburgh Waverley service.
|/03/1940||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Ferry service from Granton suspended.
|/ /1951||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Vehicle ferry service from Granton started.
|01/06/1960||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
The goods yard at Granton is closed.
|/ /1980||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Very little traffic to Granton from this date. The remaining traffic was Naphtha.
|20/01/1986||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
The Granton Gasworks branch closes to freight. The line from Granton to London Road Junction and Lochend South Junction becomes disused but remains in place for a while.