London Road Junction [Edinburgh] (1888-1988)
Opened on the Leith Central Branch (North British Railway).
Opened on the Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a three way double track junction. No railway remains in use here today.
To the immediate south was Abbeyhill station which opened on the Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway) between Abbeyhill Junction and Trinity Junction replacing the earlier incline and tunnel approach to Edinburgh via Scotland Street. A further fork from Easter Road Junction ran to Piershill Junction and there were connections at Bonnington. These new lines opened in 1868.
The location became a junction when a curve opened between the Abbeyhill and Piershill forks creating a new route parallel to the original North British Railway and effectively doubling the line from Edinburgh Waverley to Piershill Junction, this new route being suitable for carrying local trains. The curve opened between London Road Junction and Lochend Junction in 1888.
Leith Central opened in 1903 and was also approached from London Road Junction.
Leith Central closed to passengers in 1952 but remained open as a DMU depot until 1972 and the junction was simplified. The line to Granton was singled but the loop via Lochend Junction remained double track.
With the closure of the line to Granton to freight in 1986 the curve from London Road Junction to Easter Road Junction was taken out of use and London Road Junction ceased to be a junction.
Abbeyhill Junction to Lochend Junction closed in 1988 in preparation for the use of Piershill Junction to Powderhall for the rubbish compactor located there.
Since closure the line has become increasingly overgrown.
Easter Road Park Halt
Leith Walk [CR]
York Place [Tram]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
Princes Street [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Rose Lane Goods
St Andrew Steel Works
Easter Road Junction
Croit an Righ Brewery
Lochend North Junction
Easter Road Stadium
St Ann^s Brewery
St Ann^s Maltings
Leith Walk East Goods
St Margarets Shed
Palace of Holyroodhouse
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|