This was a two platform station with waiting shelters at platform level and a booking office over the line on London Road and stairways running down to platform level. The station opened with the Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway).
Although the station did not directly have its own goods yard there was a coal depot just to the south, Rose Lane Goods.
The station was on a curving section of line. At the west end of the station was Abbeyhill Junction (with the North British Railway) and at the north end was London Road Junction [Edinburgh].
Closure was in 1964 although the platforms and booking office remained in place for many years. The Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction loop closed in 1988. The booking office was removed in the 2000s. A platform remains here and some track may be buried under spoil.
Easter Road Park Halt
York Place [Tram]
Leith Walk [CR]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
Princes Street [1st]
| Rose Lane Goods|
London Road Junction [Edinburgh]
Croit an Righ Brewery
St Ann's Brewery
St Andrew Steel Works
Easter Road Junction
Lochend North Junction
Easter Road Stadium
Leith Walk East Goods
Palace of Holyroodhouse
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/03/1868||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
A new diversion opened to goods (Abbeyhill and Piershill to Trinity Junction with a spur onto the [North] Leith branch at Bonnington East Junction). This by-passed the cable operated incline between Canal Street [Edinburgh] and Scotland Street.
|22/03/1868||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Passenger trains diverted from the Canal Street [Edinburgh] route to via Abbeyhill. A passenger station is opened at Leith Walk.
|01/05/1869||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Abbeyhill opened on the diversion.
|22/07/1885||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
An act for a line between London Road Junction [Edinburgh] (by Abbeyhill) and Lochend South Junction (then called Lochend Junction) is passed.
|01/10/1886||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Abbeyhill to Lochend Junction opened to passengers and freight. This line effectively quadrupled the main line of the North British Railway from Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction and provided a useful diversionary route.
|16/06/1947||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Passenger services to North Leith withdrawn. Easter Road, Bonnington, Junction Road and North Leith stations closed on withdrawal of Leith to Edinburgh via Abbeyhill service.
|07/09/1964||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Edinburgh; Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction loop closed to regular passenger trains. Piershill and Abbeyhill stations closed.
|/07/1986||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Meadowbank Stadium station opened on the westbound track of the Abbeyhill to Piershill loop (for the Commonwealth games).
|/ /1989||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Track singled from Piershill Junction to Powderhall, and the Abbeyhill route is disconnected at Lochend South Junction.
|/ /1994||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Abbeyhill loop retained by British Railways on transfer of operational infrastructure to Railtrack.