Warriston Junction (1846-1960)
Opened on the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway.
Opened on the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway.
This junction was between the lines from Edinburgh Canal Street to Granton and to North Leith. It was to the immediate north of the Warriston Viaduct.
Both lines were double track. The signal box was located on the west side of the junction.
To the south, on the west side, was Heriothill Goods, approached from the junction to the north over the viaduct. Beyond to the south, through Rodney Street Tunnel, was Scotland Street.
After closure to passengers, with the 1868 opening of the Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway), the junction became a single lead for the Granton line. The line south of Scotland Street, now a goods yard, closed.
The box closed in 1931.
The North Leith arm closed to Bonnington East Junction in 1960 and Scotland Street to Trinity Junction closed in 1967.
The location is now a foot/cyclepath.
To the north, on the Granton route, are the rather fine C listed bridges carrying the Warriston Gardens and Ferry Road overhead. (Both best viewed from the former trackbed.)
The two portions of Warriston Cemetery, bisected by the Leith branch, are linked by a passage passing under the line with sober but ornate stonework.
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
York Place [Tram]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
Princes Street [Tram]
Other railway and industry locations
Logie Green Workshops
Rodney Street Tunnel
Bonnington South Junction
Bonnington South Viaduct
Bonnington North Junction
Bonnington North Viaduct
Chancelot Mill [1st]
Rosebank Iron Works
Roya Botanic Gardens
Bonnington Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|