Warriston Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Warriston Viaduct (1846-1960)

Opened on the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway.

Description

This is a disused substantial three arch crossing the Water of Leith and Warriston Road. The arches are skewed, each is 34 ft long.

Warriston Junction was directly to the north of the viaduct and Heriothill Goods to the south.

The line over the viaduct closed in 1960.

The viaduct now carries a footpath. The scale is best appreciated from below by the Water of Leith.

The engineers were Thomas Grainger and John Miller.

Tags

Viaduct footpath Water of Leith 04/10/2019

Facilities

Listing: B