This line provided a service from the docks at Granton harbour to Haymarket in Edinburgh it joined a line running to the main line of the Caledonian Railway. The line was developed jointly by the Caledonian and the Duke of Buccleuch (across whose estate the line ran). The Dukes portion was later bought by the Caledonian.
|/ /1846||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Act for Caledonian Railway branch from Slateford to Granton rejected by Government.
|/ /1857||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line authorised. Initially owned jointly by the Duke of Buccleuch and Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1858||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
|28/08/1861||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line opened to freight.
|/ /1863||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
The Caledonian Railway buys the Duke of Buccleuch's share in the line.
|01/09/1864||Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Dalry Junction [Edinburgh] to Coltbridge Junction (Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)) opened.
|04/09/1967||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Junction to Leith North (excluded) closed.
|05/02/1968||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton High Goods closed. (Latterly accessed via the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway).
|/ /1980||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Bitumen Works Siding closed. (Latterly accessed via the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway which is cut back to Powderhall).
These locations are along the line.
This was the junction between the 1861 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway) line built in 1847 from Slateford Junction [1st] on the Caledonian Railway to just shy of an aborted junction at Haymarket on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
This junction opened in 1864 when the a curve from the new Wester Dalry Branch and Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway) connected the 1848 Caledonian Railway to the 1859 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a two platform station with offices on Queensferry Road. There were waiting rooms on the platforms. The station was south of the road bridge and to the north was Craigleith Junction, the junction between the lines to Leith North and Barnton from Edinburgh Princes Street. There were goods sidings on the east side of the junction, approached from the south, with one in ...More details
This double track junction was just north of Craigleith station, separated from it by the Queensferry Road overbridge. The existing signal box, dating from 1879 when the station opened, was used when the junction was created with the opening of the Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway) in 1894. For this the box was renamed from Craigleith to Craigleith Junction.
This junction was between the goods only 1861 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1864 Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway). The junction gave access to the Granton and Leith routes from the south. Both railways were double track.
This junction is also known as Pilton Junction West. The signal box here was called Pilton West Junction.
This was the junction between the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)'s lines to the Granton western breakwater and Granton High Goods, and the connection to the former Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway (once a major transshipment point between the Caledonian Railway and North British Railway systems in Edinburgh.