Opened on the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a two platform station on the lines between Edinburgh Princes Street and Leith North and Barnton. Both platforms had buildings, that on the northbound being slightly larger.
To the south the line passed over Roseburn Terrace, crossing by an unusually ornate girder bridge which features 'CR' carved into the abutment for the Caledonian Railway. The bridge is B listed.It features a panel with a thistle faced on either side by a Scottish lion rampant, the Caledonian's symbol. Engineer George Graham.
To the south a looped siding on the west side served Roseburn Maltings, beyond which the line crossed over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to reach Coltbridge Junction.
Murrayfield had a large goods yard which included the Coltbridge Stone Depot. The yard was approached from the north and was on the west side of the line, north of Roseburn Terrace. Further north the line crossed the Water of Leith by the Coltbridge Viaduct. There were two signal boxes, one at the north end of the southbound platform and another at the south of the station on the west side (south of Roseburn Terrace at Roseburn Maltings). Later there was a single box at the north end, on the west side of the line by the goods yard.
The line had opened in 1861, the station and box in 1879. The box closed in 1944, replaced with a ground frame. The line closed to passengers in 1962 and completely in 1967.
The trackbed is now a footpath. The platforms survive but the buildings are gone. The fine bridge over Roseburn Terrace still stands.
Murrayfield Stadium [Tram]
Shandwick Place [Tram]
Edinburgh Princes Street
Other railway and industry locations
Coltbridge Stone Depot
Russell Road Bridge [Tram]
Haymarket Coal Yard
Haymarket Shed [1st]
Haymarket Power Box
Haymarket Central Junction
Russell Road Viaduct
Haymarket East Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|