This junction opened in 1879 when the Leith North, which had opened in 1864, was converted for passenger use. A separate line ran from here on the south side of the original goods line to North Leith.
To the east the goods lines were to the north, then the passenger lines (entering Newhaven station, then (after 1903) the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) and finally Newhaven Goods and Minerals yard on the south side.
The the immediate west of the junction the line passed over the North British Railway's Trinity Junction. To the west again there was a junction yard, on the north side of the line and approached from the east.
The signal box, opened in 1879, was on the south side of the junction.
The Leith New Lines were singled in 1917 (eastbound line lifted).
King Olaf of Norway visited in 1958 and Newhaven signal box was re-painted for the occaision.
Newhaven station closed when the branch closed to passengers in 1962.The goods line were closed in 1964, the former passenger lines remaining in use. The goods lines slewed over the the passenger lines to the east, at Leith High Depot.
Newhaven Junction ceased to be a junction with closure of in 1966 of the portion of the Leith New Lines between here and Leith Walk West Goods (excluded). The line remained open for access to Leith High Depot and Newhaven Goods and Minerals from the east only until 1968.
The trackbed is now a footpath.
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
East Pilton Halt
| Trinity Junction|
Newhaven Goods and Minerals
Ferry Road Junction
Bonnington North Junction
Leith High Depot Junction
Chancelot Mills [1st]
Bonnington Viaduct [CR]
Bonnington East Junction
Bonnington North Viaduct
Bonnington South Viaduct
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Bonnington (Rosebank) Goods
Trinity Chain Pier
Bonnington Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/08/1879||Leith North Passenger Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Passenger service starts, a new passenger portion opens from Newhaven Junction to Leith North on the south side of the existing goods lines. Granton Junction to Crew Junction to Newhaven Junction opened to passengers. Stations opened at Craigleith and Murrayfield on the Granton branch, Granton Road on the Leith North branch, Newhaven and Leith North on the new line.
|/ /1902||Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Double track line opened to goods from Newhaven Junction to Seafield Junction [CR] and South Leith [CR]. (Two-platform passenger stations at Newhaven [Leith New Lines], Ferry Road and Leith Walk [CR] built but not opened). Branch to Chancelot Mills [1st] opened.
|04/07/1966||Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Newhaven Junction to Leith Walk West Goods (excluded) closed.
|04/09/1967||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Junction (excluded) to Coltbridge Junction to Crew Junction to Newhaven Junction (excluded) closed.
|28/02/1968||Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Newhaven Junction to Leith High Depot Junction (excluded) (for the Leith High Depot) closed to freight.